COLBY, Wis. - A farmer who lost cows and buildings on his property near Colby narrowly escaped after a silo began collapsing around him.
Thursday's severe thunderstorm destroyed several barns in Marathon County, including the one of Terry Schmitt's property. Schmitt was working inside the silo when it began to shake violently. He hurried down the chute and just got out the door when the silo collapsed.
The Schmitts were able to rescue about 30 of their 50 cows from the collapsed barn. The Marshfield News-Herald reported the Schmitts lost a couple other sheds on their property.
The National Weather Service said damage in the area was caused by straight-line winds of 70 to 80 mph.
- UW-Madison suspends fraternity for serving minors
- Papermaker agrees to complete Fox River cleanup
- Wine-and-tapas bar, gastropub open in Dane County airport
- Search of lake for human remains from plane crash ends
- Teenager 'going crazy with a knife' arrested
- PD: Drunk Mt. Horeb man jumps from moving car, runs into side of SUV