COLBY, Wis. - A farmer who lost cows and buildings on his property near Colby narrowly escaped after a silo began collapsing around him.
Thursday's severe thunderstorm destroyed several barns in Marathon County, including the one of Terry Schmitt's property. Schmitt was working inside the silo when it began to shake violently. He hurried down the chute and just got out the door when the silo collapsed.
The Schmitts were able to rescue about 30 of their 50 cows from the collapsed barn. The Marshfield News-Herald reported the Schmitts lost a couple other sheds on their property.
The National Weather Service said damage in the area was caused by straight-line winds of 70 to 80 mph.
- Four displaced in west side apartment fire
- 'Peaceful' protests, candlelight vigil held in Madison over Trump inauguration
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- Classes teach Madisonians how to keep backyard bees
- Judge orders suspended UW student to face trial
- First responders urge people to stay off ice this weekend