MADISON, Wis. - The excitement continues for U.S. soccer fans as the team advanced out of the so-called group of death to the next round.
Fans packed the Memorial Union Terrace Thursday to watch the U.S. team take on Germany Thursday. The World Cup is only every four years but fans see the popularity in the sport growing in the United States.
"I haven't seen anything like this before. I was along for the last World Cup, and I think it has really grown in popularity," Alex Becker said. "I think it's a good thing for the sport and for the United States as a whole."
There were some anxious moments with the U.S. losing to Germany, but they advanced based on goal differential.
- Deputies warn of thin ice as warm temps continue
- Falcons roll 44-21 to reach Super Bowl
- Packers fall to Falcons 44-21
- Family, friends of Tony Robinson protest plan to return officer to patrol
- Packers fans stock up on snacks before NFC Championship game
- Wisconsin officials investigating skull found on vacant land