MADISON, Wis. - The excitement continues for U.S. soccer fans as the team advanced out of the so-called group of death to the next round.
Fans packed the Memorial Union Terrace Thursday to watch the U.S. team take on Germany Thursday. The World Cup is only every four years but fans see the popularity in the sport growing in the United States.
"I haven't seen anything like this before. I was along for the last World Cup, and I think it has really grown in popularity," Alex Becker said. "I think it's a good thing for the sport and for the United States as a whole."
There were some anxious moments with the U.S. losing to Germany, but they advanced based on goal differential.
- Madison police work to create better quality of life on top of State Street
- 'Out of the darkness' walk for suicide prevention
- Woman may face charges after being thrown from vehicle during crash
- Officials ID fatal Grant County crash victim
- Police: Electronics taken from Boscobel home Friday
- Armed robberies in Monona, Madison may be connected, Monona PD says