MILWAUKEE - A former speaker of the Wisconsin Assembly is back safe in the state after running in the Boston Marathon.
Forty-nine-year-old John Gard of Green Bay said he finished the marathon well ahead of Monday's deadly explosions near the finish line.
Gard said he was hanging out with friends after finishing the race when the blast happened. He says, "All you saw was chaos."
He said, "You could tell something unusual was happening."
Gard finished his fifth Boston Marathon with a time of 3 hours, 7 minutes. He says the Boston Marathon "is probably one of the most genuinely innocent events in America" but "will never be the same" after the deadly blast.
- Family-owned business disputes child labor laws
- Memorial High all-school read sparks conversations about race, social justice
- DNR provides funding to remove lead service lines from homes
- Delavan man killed in motorcycle vs. tree crash, officials say
- GOP Legislature calls redistricting ruling 'dangerous'
- Crazylegs run/walk to close many downtown streets Saturday