JUNEAU, Wis. - The former owner of a defunct Beaver Dam travel agency has pleaded no contest to theft charges.
Wisconsin Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen said Deborah Paul entered no-contest pleas Wednesday to two felony counts of theft.
Prosecutors said Paul had received more than $270,000 in payments for trips from more than 200 customers in 2007. The money was paid to her business, Carol's Tours.
When Carol's Tours closed in January 2008, the business had no assets and customers were not able to go on their trips. Many of them also had paid for trip interruption insurance, but none of them had their trip interruption service actually paid for.
The court accepted Paul's plea and ordered a pre-sentence investigation.
Sentencing is scheduled for Jan. 18 in Dodge County.
- Family remembers fire that took 4 kids' lives 25 years later
- Plea deal reached in killing of 13-year-old girl in 1982
- Madison Club donation focuses on 100 Black Men, achievement gap
- Madison Metro bus driver retires after half a century
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK
- Icy conditions send more people to ER for falls