Local News

Elevator malfunction causes heavy smoke in jail

No inmates evacuated, officials say

MADISON, Wis. - An office area at the Dane County Jail was evacuated Wednesday morning for a malfunctioning elevator major that was causing heavy smoke, according to a release.

Around 8 a.m. the Madison Fire Department was called to the jail for reports of smoke filling a hallway of the City-County Building portion of the jail, officials said.

A deputy reported feeling the floor shake and then smelling smoke before going to investigate, according to the release. The fire alarm went off and heavy smoke began coming through the vents on the east side of the jail.

The smoke was contained to an office area on the seventh floor and a kitchen on the sixth floor, officials said. Crews said an electric elevator motor on the top floor of the CCB had malfunctioned.

Two mental health workers employed by Correct Care Solutions had to be evacuated from their offices, and one city of Madison employee was trapped in an elevator for over an hour, according to the release.

No inmates had to be evacuated and no one was injured, officials said.

"I am planning a full debriefing of this morning's events and a detailed after action reports that can serve to make all involved better prepared for major incidents such as a fire in or outside the jail that threaten life and safety," Sheriff David Mahoney said.

Local And Regional News

Photo Galleries

E-News Registration

This Week's Circulars