VILLAGE OF BIRCHWOOD, Wis. - Washburn County authorities have detonated 60 pounds of explosives found under the floor of a garden shed of a man who recently died.
The dynamite sticks were found by the executor of the man's estate who was looking for items to sell in an estate sale. The dynamite had been stashed under the floor boards in the metal shed behind the house on Main Street in Birchwood.
Washburn County Sheriff Terry Dryden says the discovery was reported about 4:15 p.m. Monday.
A bomb squad removed 30 two-pound sticks of explosives while authorities evacuated nearby homes. The bomb squad detonated the dynamite in a sand-gravel pit outside of the village.
The Duluth News Tribune reports there was no explanation for why the man might have stashed the explosives.
- Political expert weighs in on effectiveness of Women's March movement
- Uncertainty creates challenges for growth in manufacturing
- Inmates sue over conditions at Wisconsin youth prison
- Crews put out, monitor insulation fire at construction site, officials say
- Janesville man killed in crash on I-90 near South Beloit
- Milwaukee coroner: Skull found on vacant land is decades old