MADISON, Wis. - A 15-year-old boy who drove his family's SUV into a tree was driving drunk, according to a release from Madison police.
Officers were called to the 300 block of North Walbridge Avenue at 5:23 a.m. Friday and found an SUV had struck a tree. Police said the SUV had extensive front end damage, three of the tires were coming off, airbags had deployed and the drive shaft was 50 feet from the rest of the SUV. Madison firefighters were called to handle fuel spilling from the SUV.
The driver fled the scene but was found when officers tracked the SUV's registration to the owner's home, according to the report. The family members told police they were not aware the SUV was taken for a joyride.
The teen was taken to the Juvenile Reception Center on suspicion of hit-and-run, operating after suspension, failure to keep vehicle under control and violating the absolute sobriety law.Madison crime map
- 6-year-old girl buys birthday gifts for children in need
- Woman's self-written obituary goes viral
- Ryan meets in Janesville with police chiefs from across US
- Review: MSO, APT craft annual 'Beyond the Score' concert
- Pickup truck, car fall through ice on 2 Dodge County lakes
- Man killed after setting off apartment explosion