FULTON TOWNSHIP, Wis. - One person is dead after a head-on crash on Highway 51 south of Edgerton Thursday afternoon, according to police.
The Rock County sheriff's office said a gray Hyundai Elantra was heading south on Highway 51 just north of County Highway M when a silver Volkswagen Golf, traveling northbound, drifted into the southbound lane after failing to negotiate a curve.
Police said the driver of the Hyundai tried to avoid the other vehicle, but was struck partially head-on.
The driver of the Volkswagen, 46-year-old Sonja J. Collins, of Edgerton, was taken to Mercy Hospital in Janesville, where she later died. The driver of the Hyundai was taken to Mercy Hospital with a broken arm and leg, police said.
- Census Bureau estimates show Madison continues to grow
- Missed opportunities: The irony of overscheduling
- Intruders prompt police to warn residents to check garage doors
- Wisconsin man among families suing government to identify remains of unknown soldiers
- Officers target seat belt use over holiday weekend
- Man sentenced for 13th drunken driving conviction