FULTON TOWNSHIP, Wis. - One person is dead after a head-on crash on Highway 51 south of Edgerton Thursday afternoon, according to police.
The Rock County sheriff's office said a gray Hyundai Elantra was heading south on Highway 51 just north of County Highway M when a silver Volkswagen Golf, traveling northbound, drifted into the southbound lane after failing to negotiate a curve.
Police said the driver of the Hyundai tried to avoid the other vehicle, but was struck partially head-on.
The driver of the Volkswagen, 46-year-old Sonja J. Collins, of Edgerton, was taken to Mercy Hospital in Janesville, where she later died. The driver of the Hyundai was taken to Mercy Hospital with a broken arm and leg, police said.
- Family remembers fire that took 4 kids' lives 25 years later
- Plea deal reached in killing of 13-year-old girl in 1982
- Madison Club donation focuses on 100 Black Men, achievement gap
- Madison Metro bus driver retires after half a century
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK
- Icy conditions send more people to ER for falls