WAUSAU, Wis. - A Merrill man is accused of being under the influence of drugs when he ran over and killed an 87-year-old pedestrian last October.
Forty-seven-year-old Evan Mooney is charged in Marathon County with four felonies, including vehicular homicide by use of a controlled substance and homicide by negligent operation of a vehicle.
According to police records, John Diktanas of Crivitz was walking along a road in Rothschild when he was struck by a passing vehicle around 3 p.m. on Oct. 28. Diktanas died at a hospital about four hours later.
WAOW-TV reported that Mooney told investigators he took prescription drugs the morning of the crash.
Bail for Mooney was set at $30,000 Tuesday, and he remained in jail. Online court records do not list a defense attorney.
- Consumer Reports: Samsung Galaxy S8 first look
- Chief: Monday was 'horribly compelling night of crime' in Madison
- New gallery showcases visually impaired artists, proves creativity has no boundaries
- Attorney: Jakubowksi traveled mostly on foot, was headed to South Dakota
- Lettuce, other produce prices double due to wet California winter, experts say
- State Legislature set to give wells bill final OK