JANESVILLE, Wis. - Janesville police said it has arrested a man suspected of driving drunk and causing a head-on crash that killed a Fitchburg woman and critically injured another woman.
The crash happened just before 4 p.m. Sunday on the Afton Road Bridge going over Wisconsin State Highway 11.
Janesville police said the initial investigation shows a vehicle driven by Bruce R. Hohenstein, 54, of Janesville, was traveling north on Afton Road and crossed the center line on the bridge, striking head-on a southbound vehicle driven by Amy K. Johnson 33, of Fitchburg.
Johnson was killed during the crash. A passenger in Johnson's vehicle, Paige N. Morfey, 20, of Janesville, suffered critical injuries and is in stable condition, police said.
Police said Hohenstein also suffered critical injuries and is in stable condition at a hospital.
Police said they developed probable cause to arrest Hohenstein on charges of homicide by intoxicated use of a motor vehicle and causing injury by intoxicated use of a motor vehicle.
- Robber points gun at motel clerk, flees empty-handed
- Wisconsin woman's play to take stage in San Diego
- Aging farmers in Wisconsin fear nursing care may cost farm
- Police questioning suspect in Middleton homicide
- Green Bay official explores ban on openly carrying guns
- Sheriff: Alcohol may be factor in crash that injured two