JANESVILLE, Wis. - Janesville police said it has arrested a man suspected of driving drunk and causing a head-on crash that killed a Fitchburg woman and critically injured another woman.
The crash happened just before 4 p.m. Sunday on the Afton Road Bridge going over Wisconsin State Highway 11.
Janesville police said the initial investigation shows a vehicle driven by Bruce R. Hohenstein, 54, of Janesville, was traveling north on Afton Road and crossed the center line on the bridge, striking head-on a southbound vehicle driven by Amy K. Johnson 33, of Fitchburg.
Johnson was killed during the crash. A passenger in Johnson's vehicle, Paige N. Morfey, 20, of Janesville, suffered critical injuries and is in stable condition, police said.
Police said Hohenstein also suffered critical injuries and is in stable condition at a hospital.
Police said they developed probable cause to arrest Hohenstein on charges of homicide by intoxicated use of a motor vehicle and causing injury by intoxicated use of a motor vehicle.
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- Classes teach Madisonians how to keep backyard bees
- Judge orders suspended UW student to face trial
- First responders urge people to stay off ice this weekend
- Madison police have video of road rage incident involving a car and bike
- Robbery suspect arrested after stealing purse containing $1