MIDDLETON, Wis. - A Madison man was arrested on a felony drunken driving charge early Sunday morning after an officer saw him swerving in traffic, officials said.
A Middleton police officer observed a vehicle that swerved out of its lane around 2:05 a.m. and then did not stop for a stop sign at Branch Street and Maywood Avenue, according to a release.
The officer initiated a traffic stop and determined that the driver, 58-year-old John P. Vanden Heuvel, was slurring his speech and displaying other signs of alcohol impairment, authorities said.
After field sobriety testing, Vanden Heuvel was arrested on a tentative felony charge of seventh-offense operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated. He was also ticketed for failure to stop at a stop sign.
- Make your smart home safe, secure
- Neighbors planning action after west side shots fired incident
- Elementary school staff member on leave after physical altercation at school
- Grant provides free Disney theater program for local schools
- Recent school bus crash brings back debate over seat belts on buses
- Madison to host Pokemon Regional Championships