DODGEVILLE, Wis. - A Dodgeville man and former UW-Platteville student who was detained in Northern Ireland as part of an investigation into a woman accused of trying to kill two police officers has been released, according to a Belfast newspaper.
Detectives said Zach Gevelinger, 24, was visiting a pen pal, Christine Connor, in a women's prison. Connor is charged with two counts of attempted murder and possession of pipe bombs related to an attack on police on May 28, according to the report.
The report states Gevelinger had been communicating with Connor on social networking sites and his visit to the prison was his first face-to-face meeting with her.
Detectives said Connor's mother arranged the prison visit for July 6. He was detained in the jail's parking lot.
Gevelinger was to be released from his detainment on Monday.
- Local woman shares warning after credit card theft
- Bond reduced in UW-Stout student death case
- Madison police make arrest in downtown robbery
- Downtown homicide victim's roommate: Victim was likely trying to help the man who killed him
- Vet: Quick action saved dog who swallowed nails; Humane Society: 'This is now on our radar'
- State receives $20,000 grant to combat drugged driving