DODGEVILLE, Wis. - A Dodgeville man and former UW-Platteville student who was detained in Northern Ireland as part of an investigation into a woman accused of trying to kill two police officers has been released, according to a Belfast newspaper.
Detectives said Zach Gevelinger, 24, was visiting a pen pal, Christine Connor, in a women's prison. Connor is charged with two counts of attempted murder and possession of pipe bombs related to an attack on police on May 28, according to the report.
The report states Gevelinger had been communicating with Connor on social networking sites and his visit to the prison was his first face-to-face meeting with her.
Detectives said Connor's mother arranged the prison visit for July 6. He was detained in the jail's parking lot.
Gevelinger was to be released from his detainment on Monday.
- Dane County plans to buy land to make Capital City State Trail safer
- Handful of rat virus cases seen in Wisconsin and Illinois
- Hilldale Mall launches redevelopment of south side
- State unemployment rate drops to 4 percent in December
- Expect traffic delays in downtown Madison for Women's March Saturday
- Police arrest suspected heroin dealers, seize 3 guns, $28K cash