MADISON, Wis. - Anglers will get a chance later this month to fish for free.
The state Department of Natural Resources plans to offer its first free fishing winter weekend on Jan. 19 and Jan. 20.
State residents and nonresidents won't need any licenses or trout stamps to fish on inland waters or on Wisconsin's side of the Great Lakes and Mississippi River.
The state has offered a free fishing weekend on the first weekend in June for years.
Legislators passed a law last year creating the winter weekend in an effort to boost participation in outdoor recreation.
- All Iowa County roads reported as ice covered, hazardous
- Lowell Elementary School closed due to flooding, officials say
- District: Some Janesville school bus routes canceled because of slippery roads
- Local Wisconsin man remembers meeting Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Parents of girl charged in 'Slender Man' stabbing speak out
- 6-year-old girl buys birthday gifts for children in need