MADISON, Wis. - The state Department of Natural Resources has created a new American Indian tribal liaison position.
Michele Allness will be responsible for coordinating tribal contacts and building relationships with Wisconsin's tribes. Allness has worked for the state Department of Tourism since 2008, most recently as that agency's tribal liaison.
The DNR has been clashing with the state's Chippewa tribes over a number of high-profile issues, including plans for an iron mine near the Bad River Band of Lake Superior Chippewa's reservation, the state's new wolf hunt and the tribes' recent attempt to jump-start night deer hunting.
- Two people shot at while in a car on Madison's east side
- Dick's Sporting Goods windows smashed, teen arrested
- Dog recovering after eating nails wrapped in hot dogs; Police look for person who left them
- Dating apps pose risk to teenagers, expert says
- Lawsuit over baked goods ban heads to court
- FDA issues warning letters over 'bogus cancer cures'