MADISON, Wis. - The state Department of Natural Resources has created a new American Indian tribal liaison position.
Michele Allness will be responsible for coordinating tribal contacts and building relationships with Wisconsin's tribes. Allness has worked for the state Department of Tourism since 2008, most recently as that agency's tribal liaison.
The DNR has been clashing with the state's Chippewa tribes over a number of high-profile issues, including plans for an iron mine near the Bad River Band of Lake Superior Chippewa's reservation, the state's new wolf hunt and the tribes' recent attempt to jump-start night deer hunting.
- Family remembers fire that took 4 kids' lives 25 years later
- Plea deal reached in killing of 13-year-old girl in 1982
- Madison Club donation focuses on 100 Black Men, achievement gap
- Madison Metro bus driver retires after half a century
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK
- Icy conditions send more people to ER for falls