WISCONSIN DELLS, Wis. - Authorities said no evidence aside from clothing was found Thursday morning after a report of a person in the Wisconsin River near an area hotel.
Wisconsin Dells officers and a Kilbourn Fire Department rescue boat responded to the waterfront area near Santorini Village Hotel at about 1:40 a.m. to search for a person reported in the water, according to a news release.
Police Chief Jody Ward said several clothing items were found in the water near River Walk Pub but no identification was found. Ward said it was undetermined as of Thursday afternoon if someone was in the water.
Police said a black-and-white Ecko Unltd brand jacket, Roadblock brand denim pants, navy-and-white shorts and blue-and-black basketball shoes were found in the water.
The Columbia County Sheriff's Department dive team also conducted a search of the water, Ward said, but no more evidence was found.
Police are asking for help from the public to identify the owner of the clothes found and any other information residents might have related to the incident. Dells police said anyone with information can call 608-253-1611.
The initial call to police came from a hotel guest who said they believed someone was in the river due to people heard outside stating so, according to the report.PHOTOS: Dive team searches river
- Poynette woman calls for action over million-dollar scam
- Warmer weather means construction starts on Capitol Square
- Family-owned business disputes child labor laws
- Memorial High all-school read sparks conversations about race, social justice
- DNR provides funding to remove lead service lines from homes
- Delavan man killed in motorcycle vs. tree crash, officials say