JANESVILLE, Wis. - Each day nearly one-third of Rock County's 911 phone calls are not emergencies.
Calls about noisy neighbors or barking dogs clog phone lines and could prevent real emergencies from becoming top priority.
To combat the confusion, dispatchers have put out a music video reminding residents about the nonemergency phone number and when it's appropriate to call 911.
Rock County officials hope the jingle will help them respond to life or death situations faster.
"We start taping before the call taker picks up, and I don't know how many times, even just for two rings, someone's pleading for you to pick up the phone. So when you're hearing someone saying, ‘Oh my god, pick up, pick up, pick up,' two seconds, five seconds makes a big difference when someone is not breathing or your house if on fire," Rock County Communications Director Kathy Sukus said.
The public service announcement was filmed at the town of Beloit Fire Department.
Rock County dispatchers want the jingle to get stuck in everyone's head that the nonemergency number is 608-757-2244.Dispatchers hope catchy PSA will reduce response times
- All Iowa County roads reported as ice covered, hazardous
- Lowell Elementary School closed due to flooding, officials say
- District: Some Janesville school bus routes canceled because of slippery roads
- Local Wisconsin man remembers meeting Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Parents of girl charged in 'Slender Man' stabbing speak out
- 6-year-old girl buys birthday gifts for children in need