MADISON, Wis. - A garage on Madison's near east side sustained $20,000 in damage after some discarded coals started a fire inside a garbage can, officials said.
Crews responded to 19 and 21 North Baldwin Street around 4:25 a.m. Sunday, according to a release.
A resident tried to use a fire extinguisher but was not able to put the flames out, officials said. A resident also removed a gas can that was near the fire before crews arrived.
Firefighters arrived to find heavy fire showing that had completely engulfed the garage, according to the release. Crews pulled a hose line to the back of the house and had the fire out in 15 minutes.
The residents were grilling earlier in the evening and when they thought the coals had cooled, they put them into a garbage can next to the garage, officials said.
No injuries were reported.
- Officials identify woman killed in Middleton homicide; suspect in custody
- Robber points gun at motel clerk, flees empty-handed
- Wisconsin woman's play to take stage in San Diego
- Aging farmers in Wisconsin fear nursing care may cost farm
- Green Bay official explores ban on openly carrying guns
- Sheriff: Alcohol may be factor in crash that injured two