GREEN BAY, Wis. - The Catholic Diocese of Green Bay said a man who voluntarily left the priesthood more than 40 years ago has been removed from the clergy over an allegation that he sexually abused a boy in the 1960s.
A Press-Gazette Media report said Jerome Koerner of De Pere denied the allegations but cooperated with the process.
The diocese said it received an allegation last year that he had sexually abused a boy while serving as a priest. The diocese began the process of removing him from the priesthood. It said Friday the process has been completed.
The alleged victim said Koerner molested him several times from 1960 to 1967. He said police told him too much time had passed to justify pursuing criminal charges.
Koerner said, "I'm going to keep it simple -- I deny any allegation."
- Deputies warn of thin ice as warm temps continue
- Falcons roll 44-21 to reach Super Bowl
- Packers fall to Falcons 44-21
- Family, friends of Tony Robinson protest plan to return officer to patrol
- Packers fans stock up on snacks before NFC Championship game
- Wisconsin officials investigating skull found on vacant land