GREEN BAY, Wis. - The Catholic Diocese of Green Bay said a man who voluntarily left the priesthood more than 40 years ago has been removed from the clergy over an allegation that he sexually abused a boy in the 1960s.
A Press-Gazette Media report said Jerome Koerner of De Pere denied the allegations but cooperated with the process.
The diocese said it received an allegation last year that he had sexually abused a boy while serving as a priest. The diocese began the process of removing him from the priesthood. It said Friday the process has been completed.
The alleged victim said Koerner molested him several times from 1960 to 1967. He said police told him too much time had passed to justify pursuing criminal charges.
Koerner said, "I'm going to keep it simple -- I deny any allegation."
- Pedestrian killed in Walworth County crash
- Thousands participate in Madison March for Science
- Friends, family send off 85 National Guard members
- Body pulled out of Kinnickinnic River in Milwaukee
- Signs go up in Racine marking Frank Lloyd Wright Trail
- DNR: Alcohol may be involved in Lake Wisconsin boat crash