EAGLE RIVER, Wis. - A Vilas County deputy says Sheriff Frank Tomlanovich (tom-LAH'-nuh-vich) has died at age 61 after a brief illness.
Sheriff's Capt. Russ Kennedy says Tomlanovich died Thursday morning. He says the sheriff will be remembered as a hard worker and good leader who took excellent care of his troops.
Tomlanovich had been with the sheriff's office since 1979. He was promoted to detective sergeant in 1994 and became sheriff in 2011. Earlier in his career he worked with the Eagle River Police Department.
In a statement, Gov. Scott Walker says Tomlanovich "dedicated his life to protecting and serving the people of northern Wisconsin."
- Grocery store offers 'ugly' produce to combat food waste
- Silver Alert issued for missing Marathon County man
- Police: Boy, 12, to officers at mall: 'I'm going to kill you, your wife, your children'
- Man shot in face testifies in homicide trial of Sophea Mouth
- Man suspected in another downtown Madison car break-in
- Pharmaceutical center in LaCrosse announces layoffs