EAGLE RIVER, Wis. - A Vilas County deputy says Sheriff Frank Tomlanovich (tom-LAH'-nuh-vich) has died at age 61 after a brief illness.
Sheriff's Capt. Russ Kennedy says Tomlanovich died Thursday morning. He says the sheriff will be remembered as a hard worker and good leader who took excellent care of his troops.
Tomlanovich had been with the sheriff's office since 1979. He was promoted to detective sergeant in 1994 and became sheriff in 2011. Earlier in his career he worked with the Eagle River Police Department.
In a statement, Gov. Scott Walker says Tomlanovich "dedicated his life to protecting and serving the people of northern Wisconsin."
- Poynette woman calls for action over million-dollar scam
- Warmer weather means construction starts on Capitol Square
- Family-owned business disputes child labor laws
- Memorial High all-school read sparks conversations about race, social justice
- DNR provides funding to remove lead service lines from homes
- Delavan man killed in motorcycle vs. tree crash, officials say