LA CROSSE, WIs. - A La Crosse man is accused of hitting a sheriff's deputy and punching a police dog.
Charges filed Tuesday in La Crosse County Circuit Court say the deputy responded to a disturbance in Holmen last week where Chad Kowalke was accused of punching a woman and pushing a man.
The deputy said he found Kowalke hiding in some bushes and told him the police dog would attack if he didn't surrender. A criminal complaint says Kowalke began punching the dog which bit him in the face. Authorities say the deputy was struck in the face by the suspect.
The La Crosse Tribune reported Kowalke was taken to a local hospital where he resisted treatment and spit in an officer's eye.
Kowalke is charged with ten crimes. A defense attorney was not listed in court documents.
- Officials ID fatal Grant County crash victim
- Police: Electronics taken from Boscobel home Friday
- Armed robberies in Monona, Madison may be connected, Monona PD says
- Widow of slayed Racine man wants ban of hollow-point bullets
- Wisconsin tribes clash in casino expansion fight
- Arcadia embraces Hispanic population amid immigration talks