LA CROSSE, WIs. - A La Crosse man is accused of hitting a sheriff's deputy and punching a police dog.
Charges filed Tuesday in La Crosse County Circuit Court say the deputy responded to a disturbance in Holmen last week where Chad Kowalke was accused of punching a woman and pushing a man.
The deputy said he found Kowalke hiding in some bushes and told him the police dog would attack if he didn't surrender. A criminal complaint says Kowalke began punching the dog which bit him in the face. Authorities say the deputy was struck in the face by the suspect.
The La Crosse Tribune reported Kowalke was taken to a local hospital where he resisted treatment and spit in an officer's eye.
Kowalke is charged with ten crimes. A defense attorney was not listed in court documents.
- Committee debates to keep or remove Monterrey Dam
- 2 teenagers chased by police die in car crash in Milwaukee
- Four displaced in west side apartment fire
- 'Peaceful' protests, candlelight vigil held in Madison over Trump inauguration
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- Classes teach Madisonians how to keep backyard bees