ELKHORN, Wis. - The Walworth County Sheriff's Office is releasing the name of the deputy involved in the shooting of an inmate at a hospital last month.
Officials said deputy Richard Lagle shot and killed a Janesville teen Jan 21 while the teen was trying to escape custody at Lakeland Medical Center.
Lagle has been a deputy with the Walworth County Sheriff's Office since May of 2009.
After the incident, Lagle told investigators he was guarding Alfredo Emilio Villarreal, 18, while Villarreal was undergoing tests for a personal medical issue when Villarreal tried to escape.
The deputy was punched and kicked multiple times and called for assistance, according to investigators.
Lagle then used a Taser, which didn't stop Villarreal, according to investigators. Deputies said Villarreal used a chair to try to break out the window in his room, and when that failed, he tried to strike the deputy over the head with the chair.
Investigators said the deputy then shot Villarreal and he died at the scene.
Villarreal was in the Walworth County Jail on a probation hold.
- Poynette woman calls for action over million-dollar scam
- Warmer weather means construction starts on Capitol Square
- Family-owned business disputes child labor laws
- Memorial High all-school read sparks conversations about race, social justice
- DNR provides funding to remove lead service lines from homes
- Delavan man killed in motorcycle vs. tree crash, officials say