LANCASTER, Wis. - A Grant County sheriff's deputy is charged with felony child abuse.
A criminal complaint said 47-year-old Vance D. VanKirk, of Platteville, is a deputy with the Grant County Sheriff's Office. The complaint said VanKirk used his uniform belt to strike one of his children, and told the 9-year-old not to tell anyone.
The complaint said the deputy suspected his child had cut the hair of another youngster on a school bus. It said he used his belt as punishment, but later learned his child had not cut anyone's hair.
The Iowa County district attorney is prosecuting the case.
The deputy has been placed on administrative leave.
- Four displaced in west side apartment fire
- 'Peaceful' protests, candlelight vigil held in Madison over Trump inauguration
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- Classes teach Madisonians how to keep backyard bees
- Judge orders suspended UW student to face trial
- First responders urge people to stay off ice this weekend