LANCASTER, Wis. - A Grant County sheriff's deputy is charged with felony child abuse.
A criminal complaint said 47-year-old Vance D. VanKirk, of Platteville, is a deputy with the Grant County Sheriff's Office. The complaint said VanKirk used his uniform belt to strike one of his children, and told the 9-year-old not to tell anyone.
The complaint said the deputy suspected his child had cut the hair of another youngster on a school bus. It said he used his belt as punishment, but later learned his child had not cut anyone's hair.
The Iowa County district attorney is prosecuting the case.
The deputy has been placed on administrative leave.
- Study shows Wisconsin poverty rate reached new low in 2015
- Jerry Kramer joins honor flight trip to help Vietnam veterans
- Brat Fest carnival to close early Sunday after late night fights
- Car rolls over into residential home's front lawn
- Janesville police investigate first homicide since 2014
- Fort Atkinson man arrested for sixth OWI