LANCASTER, Wis. - A deputy who is facing child abuse charges in Grant County has resigned from his job, an official confirmed Thursday.
Sheriff Nate Dreckman said Deputy Vance D. VanKirk has resigned from the Grant County Sheriff's Office.
VanKirk, 47, of Platteville, is facing one felony count of child abuse related to an incident in May. According to a criminal complaint, VanKirk used his uniform belt to strike one of his children, and told the 9-year-old not to tell anyone.
VanKirk's last day will be Oct. 15, Dreckman said.
VanKirk's preliminary hearing in Grant County on the child abuse charge is Tuesday at 10 a.m.
- Prisons chief tells lawmaker youth facility is safe
- Man with facial injuries claims he was attacked by 3 men
- 3 new retailers coming to West Towne
- 3 children, semi driver injured in crash involving school bus
- Clyde Stubblefield to get posthumous UW honorary degree
- Snow could return after record high temps