LANCASTER, Wis. - A deputy who is facing child abuse charges in Grant County has resigned from his job, an official confirmed Thursday.
Sheriff Nate Dreckman said Deputy Vance D. VanKirk has resigned from the Grant County Sheriff's Office.
VanKirk, 47, of Platteville, is facing one felony count of child abuse related to an incident in May. According to a criminal complaint, VanKirk used his uniform belt to strike one of his children, and told the 9-year-old not to tell anyone.
VanKirk's last day will be Oct. 15, Dreckman said.
VanKirk's preliminary hearing in Grant County on the child abuse charge is Tuesday at 10 a.m.
- Man arrested on suspicion of OWI after crash injures 3
- Man arrested on suspicion of 4th OWI
- Former president George H.W. Bush hospitalized
- Family remembers fire that took 4 kids' lives 25 years later
- Plea deal reached in killing of 13-year-old girl in 1982
- Madison Club donation focuses on 100 Black Men, achievement gap