ROCKDALE, Wis. - A suspected drunken driver drove his van into the Rockdale Bar on Monday afternoon, according to a release from the Dane County Sheriff's Office.
Deputies were called to Rockdale Bar at 222 Water Street in the village of Rockdale at 5:50 p.m. for a report of a vehicle that crashed into a building.
Investigators said John W. Carr, 72, of Cottage Grove, was attempting to back his van into a parking stall in the bar's parking lot when he accelerated forward instead of backward, as he intended. The van struck an unoccupied SUV before hitting the bar and causing significant damage to the building.
Witnesses helped Carr and his passenger, Vivian O'Connor, 60, of Cottage Grove, get out of the van which was leaking gasoline. Both were taken to a hospital for treatment of minor injuries.
Carr was arrested on suspicion of first-offense operating while intoxicated causing injury.
Deputies said they believe Carr also damaged a utility pole on Hillside Road minutes before the crash at the bar.
- Two men charged with armed robbery in Monroe
- Crash involving ambulance closes U.S. Highway 12
- Crews deal with dwindling salt supply, funds amid icy winter
- Monona cafe calls for action after no charges in embezzlement case
- Consumer Reports: Should you buy Ikea appliances?
- Consumer Reports: Foods that heal