MADISON, Wis. - Democratic state Rep. Brett Hulsey of Madison is considering switching his party affiliation to become an independent.
Republican Assembly Speaker Robin Vos says Hulsey told him and Democratic Assembly Leader Peter Barca on Tuesday he was considering the switch.
Hulsey declined to comment, saying he was focused on budget debate that also began Tuesday.
Hulsey is one of 39 Democrats in the Assembly. There are 60 Republicans.
The last independent in the Assembly was Rep. Bob Ziegelbauer of Manitowoc. He was also previously a Democrat before switching.
- UW-Madison chosen by U.S DOT to test automated vehicles
- Janesville robotics team among top 10 in global competition, moves to final round
- EPA grant freeze could ‘pull rug out from under' UW-Madison research
- Man on trial for deadly shooting says he was fearful for his life
- Suspected serial thief steals again, police say
- State manufacturing tax credit continues to grow