MADISON, Wis. - Democratic state Rep. Brett Hulsey of Madison is considering switching his party affiliation to become an independent.
Republican Assembly Speaker Robin Vos says Hulsey told him and Democratic Assembly Leader Peter Barca on Tuesday he was considering the switch.
Hulsey declined to comment, saying he was focused on budget debate that also began Tuesday.
Hulsey is one of 39 Democrats in the Assembly. There are 60 Republicans.
The last independent in the Assembly was Rep. Bob Ziegelbauer of Manitowoc. He was also previously a Democrat before switching.
- Officials ID fatal Grant County crash victim
- Police: Electronics taken from Boscobel home Friday
- Armed robberies in Monona, Madison may be connected, Monona PD says
- Widow of slayed Racine man wants ban of hollow-point bullets
- Wisconsin tribes clash in casino expansion fight
- Arcadia embraces Hispanic population amid immigration talks