MADISON, Wis. - Democratic state Rep. Brett Hulsey of Madison is considering switching his party affiliation to become an independent.
Republican Assembly Speaker Robin Vos says Hulsey told him and Democratic Assembly Leader Peter Barca on Tuesday he was considering the switch.
Hulsey declined to comment, saying he was focused on budget debate that also began Tuesday.
Hulsey is one of 39 Democrats in the Assembly. There are 60 Republicans.
The last independent in the Assembly was Rep. Bob Ziegelbauer of Manitowoc. He was also previously a Democrat before switching.
- Baldwin encourages U.S. Dept. of Agriculture secretary to Wisconsin dairy farmers
- Proposal would allow homemade baked goods sales in state
- Food delivery drivers targeted in Madison robberies, police say
- Fire marshal called to 2 fires in Jefferson County
- Witness: Man points gun at kids playing basketball
- License plate left behind at hit-and-run scene IDs driver, police say