MADISON, Wis. - Democratic state Rep. Brett Hulsey of Madison is considering switching his party affiliation to become an independent.
Republican Assembly Speaker Robin Vos says Hulsey told him and Democratic Assembly Leader Peter Barca on Tuesday he was considering the switch.
Hulsey declined to comment, saying he was focused on budget debate that also began Tuesday.
Hulsey is one of 39 Democrats in the Assembly. There are 60 Republicans.
The last independent in the Assembly was Rep. Bob Ziegelbauer of Manitowoc. He was also previously a Democrat before switching.
- Deputies warn of thin ice as warm temps continue
- Falcons roll 44-21 to reach Super Bowl
- Packers fall to Falcons 44-21
- Family, friends of Tony Robinson protest plan to return officer to patrol
- Packers fans stock up on snacks before NFC Championship game
- Wisconsin officials investigating skull found on vacant land