DEFOREST, Wis. - A man remains hospitalized following a fire at a duplex in DeForest Tuesday night.
The fire started just after 9:30 p.m. at the duplex in the 800 block of Holum Street, near Highway 51, in Deforest.
When firefighters arrived, they found black smoke pouring out of the garage on the right side of the duplex.
Fire crews said a man was trapped inside the garage during the fire because the door apparently stuck.
The injured man's son ran outside calling for help when the neighbor who lives on the left side of the duplex came outside.
Brad Lovicott lifted the metal garage door a few feet from the ground, giving them enough space to pull the man from the burning garage.
"I think I did what anyone else would have done in that situation," said Lovicott, who is the brother of WISC-TV reporter Marc Lovicott.
Lovicott said paramedics took over after the man was out of the garage. The man was eventually taken by Med Flight to the University of Wisconsin Hospital in Madison, where he is being treated for burns suffered during the fire.
Fire officials haven't yet determined how the fire started.
Half of the duplex is a total loss, and the man's family lost everything.
Donations to the Hinz Family Recovery Fund can be dropped off at any Anchor Bank location or mailed to:
DeForest Anchor Bank
601 S. Main Street
DeForest, WI 53532
- Man stabs girlfriend in neck with scissors, police say
- Fremont woman accused in boyfriend's fatal stabbing is acquitted
- East Towne Mall employee attacked, robbed
- Woman arrested, suspected of abducting her kids
- ACLU: Youth prison lawsuit prompted by silence from investigators
- UW-Madison chosen to test autonomous vehicles