SHWANO, Wis. - Shawano police are investigating a 39-year-old man for possible charges of animal neglect after dozens of dead or abandoned animals were found in his home.
Police say the property is going through foreclosure. The bank sent a contractor to the house Wednesday to change the locks. He felt something wasn't right and police were called.
Police tell WLUK-TV (http://bit.ly/145R5jS) about 50 dead animals were found in the home. Another 10 to 15 were alive. Chinchillas, birds, two dogs, a 12-foot python and two lizards were among animals found alive in the home.
The home smelled of dead animals, feces and urine. Authorities used hazardous material suits to clear it out.
Neighbors say they had not seen the man in a week.
The man has not been charged.
- Two men charged with armed robbery in Monroe
- Crash involving ambulance closes U.S. Highway 12
- Crews deal with dwindling salt supply, funds amid icy winter
- Monona cafe calls for action after no charges in embezzlement case
- Consumer Reports: Should you buy Ikea appliances?
- Consumer Reports: Foods that heal