MADISON, Wis. - Madisonians paid tribute to a United Nations hero Sunday at Monona Terrace.
The UN's Dane County chapter honored Sen. George McGovern with a luncheon and silent raffle.
McGovern died this past October at the age of 90.
Mayor Paul Soglin also stopped by to pay homage to the senator best known for his presidential run and his work with poverty.
"We're very pleased to acknowledge his contributions for social justice and human rights," Dane County UN President Barbara Nichols said.
U.S. Rep. Dave Obey spoke to the crowd about his days serving in Congress with McGovern.
Proceeds from the event will benefit the Dane County chapter of the UN.
Volunteers said more than 300 stopped to honor the late senator.
- Man killed after setting off apartment explosion
- District: Some Janesville school bus routes canceled because of slippery roads
- Driver of car going 107 mph suspected of drug use, deputies say
- Car reported missing discovered crashed into condo, police say
- Driver who nearly strikes state patrol car charged with 4th OWI, trooper says
- Man pulls gun during road rage incident, police say