EAU CLAIRE, Wis. - Crews searching the Chippewa River in Eau Claire have been unable to find two men seen hanging on to a canoe in the water.
Authorities were called to the river at 1:40 p.m. Tuesday. An Eau Claire police spokesman says a kayaker saw two men in the river hanging on to a capsized silver canoe.
The two men are believed to be in their 20s. The kayaker tried unsuccessfully to throw a rope to the men.
The Leader-Telegram reported fire crews had boats in the water, searching for the canoeists.
A Mayo Two medical helicopter joined the search by air for about an hour.
Fire boats and crews were on the water for about five hours Tuesday but did not find the canoeists or the canoe.
- Two men charged with armed robbery in Monroe
- Crash involving ambulance closes U.S. Highway 12
- Crews deal with dwindling salt supply, funds amid icy winter
- Monona cafe calls for action after no charges in embezzlement case
- Consumer Reports: Should you buy Ikea appliances?
- Consumer Reports: Foods that heal