MANITOWOC, Wis. - A Wisconsin couple planning to kayak the 2,500-mile length of the Mississippi River is preparing to embark on the next part of their journey.
An HTR Media report says Janet and Greg Gottsacker of Manitowoc have already paddled the first 500 miles. They'll begin the next leg on Wednesday.
Last spring they paddled from the river's origin to the Minneapolis area. This week they'll start in the Twin Cities and paddle 270 miles to Dubuque, Iowa. Then they'll take a few weeks off, resuming in August to paddle another 300 miles to St. Louis.
By next year they expect to reach New Orleans.
They generally camp out at night wherever they can, and then kayak from 9 a.m. to about 4 p.m.
The Gottsackers are in their mid-50s.
- 6-year-old girl buys birthday gifts for children in need
- Woman's self-written obituary goes viral
- Ryan meets in Janesville with police chiefs from across US
- Review: MSO, APT craft annual 'Beyond the Score' concert
- Pickup truck, car fall through ice on 2 Dodge County lakes
- Man killed after setting off apartment explosion