MADISON, Wis. - A couple arrested Wednesday is suspected in a rash of thefts on the University of Wisconsin campus and throughout the county, according to UW police.
Jamie L. Anderson, 22, of Stoughton and Jason S. Hart, 37, of Madison were arrested on suspicion of fraud, theft and burglary.
Police said the couple used stolen credit cards at businesses throughout Dane County to purchase laptops, cigarettes, movies and food. They would sell, pawn or exchange the goods with a drug dealer to get heroin, according to police.
The couple is believed to be responsible for thefts of computers, purses and wallets.
A security team at Target helped secure surveillance footage to help identify Anderson, who was subsequently taken into custody by UW police.
Police are investigating numerous thefts that they believe are tied to the couple.
- Memorial High all-school read sparks conversations about race, social justice
- Funding is available to remove lead service lines from homes
- Delavan man killed in motorcycle vs. tree crash, officials say
- GOP Legislature calls redistricting ruling 'dangerous'
- Crazylegs run/walk to close many downtown streets Saturday
- Dane County to acquire 130 acres along Yahara River