MADISON, Wis. - A couple arrested Wednesday is suspected in a rash of thefts on the University of Wisconsin campus and throughout the county, according to UW police.
Jamie L. Anderson, 22, of Stoughton and Jason S. Hart, 37, of Madison were arrested on suspicion of fraud, theft and burglary.
Police said the couple used stolen credit cards at businesses throughout Dane County to purchase laptops, cigarettes, movies and food. They would sell, pawn or exchange the goods with a drug dealer to get heroin, according to police.
The couple is believed to be responsible for thefts of computers, purses and wallets.
A security team at Target helped secure surveillance footage to help identify Anderson, who was subsequently taken into custody by UW police.
Police are investigating numerous thefts that they believe are tied to the couple.
- East side Walgreens robbed at gunpoint Sunday
- New emergency equipment aids obese patients in Wisconsin
- Facebook CEO Zuckerberg visits Madison Sunday
- Wisconsin, U.S. used flawed hair evidence to convict innocent people
- Shredfest helps protect more than 1,100 people's identities
- 'Life goes on': Production ends at Oscar Mayer plant