MADISON, Wis. - The Dane County Board has approved a short-term lease for a homeless day shelter.
The shelter will be located at 827 E. Washington Ave., the former Lussier Teen Center, and it will open Nov. 26.
Neighbors and the Rainbow Project, which is located nearby, spoke out Thursday night against the location.
The Rainbow Project provides a refuge for traumatized families, particularly children, and officials said they didn't want the drugs and alcohol often associated with the homeless so near the children.
The day shelter's lease will go through March 31.
Dane County Executive Joe Parisi on Thursday signed the $524.6 million county budget for 2013, which includes $600,000 for the day shelter.
- Chief: Monday 'a horribly compelling night of crime' in Madison
- Attorney: Jakubowksi traveled mostly on foot, was headed to South Dakota
- Lettuce, other produce prices double due to wet California winter, experts say
- State Legislature set to give wells bill final OK
- Look, up in the sky! It's gypsy moth sprayers
- AG Schimel: Undercover campaign videos reveal no crime