MADISON, Wis. - The Dane County Board has approved a short-term lease for a homeless day shelter.
The shelter will be located at 827 E. Washington Ave., the former Lussier Teen Center, and it will open Nov. 26.
Neighbors and the Rainbow Project, which is located nearby, spoke out Thursday night against the location.
The Rainbow Project provides a refuge for traumatized families, particularly children, and officials said they didn't want the drugs and alcohol often associated with the homeless so near the children.
The day shelter's lease will go through March 31.
Dane County Executive Joe Parisi on Thursday signed the $524.6 million county budget for 2013, which includes $600,000 for the day shelter.
- Minnesota ban on Sunday liquor sales may be lifted
- Mustard Museum may close if county doesn't forgive loan
- Republican, Democrat each share hopes for inauguration
- Child expert weighs in on search for 9-month-old
- Sheriff warns of phone scammer pretending to be deputy
- Warm weather is melting away profits in the winter sports industry