MADISON, Wis. - Cooling centers are opening to the public due to the dangerously hot temperatures predicted in the next few days.
The National Weather Service has issued an excessive heat warning for much of the southern and western part of the state, including the Madison area, until 10 p.m. Friday.
WISC-TV's Gary Cannalte said record or near-record high temperatures will be possible from now until Friday. Chances for rain will hold off until at least Friday, and the chances will remain spotty after that.
J. McLellan, of Dane County Emergency Management, said that with these high temperatures, people need to take heat-specific precautions to protect themselves and their neighbors.
These precautions include paying close attention to one's physical condition and actions; hydrating with plenty of water; being aware of the amount and intensity of one's physical activity, indoors and out; and wearing light colored, breathable clothing, hats and sunscreen.
McLellan said people should also make sure their pets have enough water and are kept in cool places indoors.
The weather is forcing local officials around the area to take precautions for residents so they can beat the heat. Many communities around southern Wisconsin have opened cooling shelters so people without air conditioning have a place to go.
The city of Madison is offering people free Metro bus rides to and from Madison cooling centers at Warner Park and the Monona Terrace. Passengers are asked to inform their driver that they are traveling to/from a cooling center in order to receive the free ride. For more information, go to www.cityofmadison.com.
Sauk County Emergency Management Director Jeff Jelinek said the current plan is to keep the cooling centers there open until Friday, but officials may decide to keep them open longer.
Here are the locations and hours for some area cooling centers open to the public:
- Adams County Library 569 N. Cedar Street Adams Closed Wed.
- Adams Adams City Hall 101 N. Main Street Adams Closed Wed.
- Rome Town Hall 1156 Alpine Drive, corner of Hwy. 13 & D Closed Wed.
- Portage Silver Lake Comm. Church Wed-Friday
- Columbus Senior Center 125 N. Dickason Blvd. Closed Wed.
- Poynette Village Hall 106 South Main St. Closed Wed.
- Warner Park recreation center in Madison - Cooling center open through Saturday morning
- Monona Terrace in Madison - Cooling center open through Thursday morning
- Town of Cross Plains - Town Hall at 3734 County Road P will be open July 5 and July 6 between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. or later as needed
- Albany Public Library 200 N. Water St. Closed Wed.
- Belleville Village Hall 24 W. Main Closed Wed.
- Belleville Public Library 130 S. Vine Street Closed Wed.
- Brodhead Public Library Closed Wed.
- Brooklyn Community Center 102 N. Rutland Ave. Closed Wed.
- Monroe United Methodist Church 2227 4th St. Closed Wed.
- Monroe -Hope Evangelical Church 2901 16th St. Closed Wed.
- Monroe Public Library 925 16th Ave. Closed Wed.
- Monroe -Senior Center 1113 10th St. Closed Wed.
- Pleasant View Govt. Services Building N3160 State Highway 81 Closed Wed.
- Monticello Zwingli United Church of Christ 416 E. Lake Avenue
- New Glarus Village Hall 319 2nd Street
Cooling Centers Open 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. from Monday, July 2 through Friday, July 6
- Arena Fire & EMS Station - 111 David Circle
- Barneveld Lutheran Church 505 Swiss Lane
- Cobb United Methodist Church - 107 W. Main St.
- Montfort United Methodist Church - 300 E. Main St.
- Grace Lutheran Church - 1105 N. Bequette St. Dodgeville
- Mineral Point Congregational United Church - 300 Maiden St.
- St. Anthony and Philip - 726 Main St. Highland
- Barneveld Public Library - 107 West Orbison (Opened Monday, Tuesday, Thursday Friday)
- Endeavor Ada Mills Donner & Melvin R. Donner Civic Center 400 Church Closed Wed.
- Endeavor Public Library Montello - Senior Center Dome 140 Lake Court Closed Wed.
- Montello Public Library 128 Lake Ct. Closed Wed.
- Oxford Public Library 129 S. Franklin Ave. Closed Wed.
- Neshkoro Public Library 132 S. Main Closed Wed.
- Packwaukee Public Library N3511 State St. Closed Wed.
- Westfield Village of Westfield Municpal Building 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Closed Wed.
- Evansville Creekside Place, 102 Maple Street 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Baraboo Historic Courthouse 510 Broadway St. 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Closed Wed.
- Lake Delton Marshall Memorial Hall 30 Wisconsin Dells Parkway South Closed Wed.
- Reedsburg Sauk County Health Care Center 1051 Clark St. Closed Wed.
- Sauk Prairie Prairie Du Sac Fire Dept.
- Wisconsin Dells Kilbourn Public Library Closed Wed.
- Angler catches massive trout, doesn't count for state record
- Overtime to catch Jakubowski cost Rock County Sheriff's Office $80,000
- Grant County school bus crash injures two
- Milwaukee TV station receives letter from author claiming to be Jakubowski
- Drugged driving deaths surpass drunken driving fatalities
- Police: Man who threw May Day Molotov cocktail arrested in Elkhart