MADISON, Wis. - One person was displaced by a cooking fire in his apartment on Madison's near east side Friday night, according to a release.
Madison fire crews were sent to an apartment building in the 600 block of East Johnson Street around 9 p.m. when someone in the neighborhood saw fire coming from the back of the building, officials said.
Crews could see smoke coming from a rear second-floor window and from a door that had been propped open, according to the release.
Firefighters said someone used two dry chemical extinguishers to try to put out the fire, which was under a stovetop and around the burners of an electric stove inside one of the apartments.
After putting out the fire, crews ventilated the apartment and made sure the flames had not extended to other areas, officials said.
The occupant told firefighters he had been heating up two pans of oil on the stove to fry some chicken, according to the release. He said he left the kitchen for a minute and when he came back both pans were on fire.
Officials said the occupant told a friend to get a fire extinguisher when the fire started to spread.
The fire caused smoke damage throughout the apartment, which was deemed uninhabitable, according to the release.
- Parents, child care centers face problems with 4-year-old kindergarten
- Iconic funk drummer Clyde Stubblefield leaves an international legacy
- Stripper sues Cruisin' Chubbys Gentleman's Club
- Teacher uses personal story to educate students on eating disorders
- February will end with near-record high temps, threat of severe thunderstorms
- Influenza cases peaking in Wisconsin