NEW BERLIN, Wis. - Cockroaches are the subject of nightmares for some people. But for one Wisconsin company, they're a sport.
Batzner Pest Management held its 13th annual "Running of the Roaches" on Thursday in New Berlin.
Nine Madagascar hissing cockroaches ran three heats on the custom-built 8-foot-long track. Each roach had an employee guide it with a straw.
Training manager Karl Rowell joked that they separated the roaches at dawn to train so they didn't "pull a leg." He said they're fed dog food and lettuce.
The company is donating $500 to the Fisher House Foundation on behalf of the winning team. The foundation helps families of patients at military and veterans medical centers.
Rowell said the winning team also gets bragging rights, which include putting pictures of roaches on the losers' desks.
- Community supports boy fighting for his life
- Neighborhood initiative aims to diminish crime on Madison's east side
- Dodge Co. Sheriff asks for more student education after school threats made
- Two injured in Iowa County rollover crash
- Family: Milwaukee mother shot repeatedly in van
- Dane County airport wins award for food program