MADISON, Wis. - A website described as a "collaborative news and arts blog for Madison and Dane County" is suspending operations citing a lack of a self-sustaining funding model.
Dane101.com will remain up as long as the editors can continue to host it, according to a statement on the site posted Friday morning.
The site started in 2005 and earned a spike in traffic during the Act 10 protests in 2011.
The statement said Dane101 attempted to make the site self-sustaining.
"Over the years, efforts were made on many fronts to create a self-sustaining model which would provide revenue while protecting our underlying values. But due to another number of factors, this failed to happen."
The site editors wrote that they plan to share content and revisit past contributions before suspending the site on Jan. 27.
- Wisconsin school advocates pushing for more money
- Research indicates correct breast examination techniques are widely misunderstood
- Shell casings found downtown after shots fired call
- 75,000+ attend 'Women's March on Madison'
- Police looking for driver who fled after causing crash
- MPD: 9-month-old girl back safe after father refused to return her to mother