MADISON, Wis. - A website described as a "collaborative news and arts blog for Madison and Dane County" is suspending operations citing a lack of a self-sustaining funding model.
Dane101.com will remain up as long as the editors can continue to host it, according to a statement on the site posted Friday morning.
The site started in 2005 and earned a spike in traffic during the Act 10 protests in 2011.
The statement said Dane101 attempted to make the site self-sustaining.
"Over the years, efforts were made on many fronts to create a self-sustaining model which would provide revenue while protecting our underlying values. But due to another number of factors, this failed to happen."
The site editors wrote that they plan to share content and revisit past contributions before suspending the site on Jan. 27.
- Family remembers fire that took 4 kids' lives 25 years later
- Plea deal reached in killing of 13-year-old girl in 1982
- Madison Club donation focuses on 100 Black Men, achievement gap
- Madison Metro bus driver retires after half a century
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK
- Icy conditions send more people to ER for falls