MADISON, Wis. - The Judge Doyle Square Committee unanimously chose the JDS Development proposal to recommend to the common council.
The company proposing the development is made up of the Hammes Company of Madison and Majestic Realty out of Los Angeles.
The plan includes a municipal building makeover and a hotel near the Monona Terrace. The committee also approved a set of nine guidelines for the project involving the number of rooms, parking and fitting in with the look of the Monona Terrace.
There has been a lot of back and forth about the proposed project. The biggest concerns have been how long the construction would take and the amount of money it would take to build.
The project will cost at least $160 million and will use TIF funds.
The common council will vote on the proposal in late February or early March. If approved, developers and the city will begin negotiations.
- Family remembers fire that took 4 kids' lives 25 years later
- Plea deal reached in killing of 13-year-old girl in 1982
- Madison Club donation focuses on 100 Black Men, achievement gap
- Madison Metro bus driver retires after half a century
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK
- Icy conditions send more people to ER for falls