WAUWATOSA, Wis. - A coal fire at a We Energies power plant on Milwaukee County Grounds in Wauwatosa is under control but expected to burn for several days.
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported the fire was reported about 7:15 a.m. Sunday and was confined to a 25-foot-hopper on the building's sixth floor.
Wauwatosa Fire Chief Robert Ugaste said no one was injured.
We Energies spokeswoman Cathy Schulze said the plant provides heat and electricity to the Medical College of Wisconsin, Children's Hospital of Wisconsin, and Froedtert Hospital. Power was unaffected at those facilities.
Schulze said the fire started in an area where coal is held before it's fed into one of three boilers. She said the utility is investigating. Crews will work for the next few days to remove the smoldering coal.
- Deputies warn of thin ice as warm temps continue
- Falcons roll 44-21 to reach Super Bowl
- Packers fall to Falcons 44-21
- Family, friends of Tony Robinson protest plan to return officer to patrol
- Packers fans stock up on snacks before NFC Championship game
- Wisconsin officials investigating skull found on vacant land