WAUWATOSA, Wis. - A coal fire at a We Energies power plant on Milwaukee County Grounds in Wauwatosa is under control but expected to burn for several days.
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported the fire was reported about 7:15 a.m. Sunday and was confined to a 25-foot-hopper on the building's sixth floor.
Wauwatosa Fire Chief Robert Ugaste said no one was injured.
We Energies spokeswoman Cathy Schulze said the plant provides heat and electricity to the Medical College of Wisconsin, Children's Hospital of Wisconsin, and Froedtert Hospital. Power was unaffected at those facilities.
Schulze said the fire started in an area where coal is held before it's fed into one of three boilers. She said the utility is investigating. Crews will work for the next few days to remove the smoldering coal.
- Widow of slayed Racine man wants ban of hollow-point bullets
- Wisconsin tribes clash in casino expansion fight
- Arcadia embraces Hispanic population amid immigration talks
- Find of device that looked like military mortar causes scare
- Lawyers for man charged in killing accuse victim's boyfriend
- 3 hospitalized, displaced in near west side fire