MADISON, Wis. - State officials fired a cleaning company they believe was responsible for damaging or staining marble floors in the Capitol.
A Wisconsin State Journal report said the damage appears to have been caused by a cleaning solution or similar liquid.
Department of Administration spokeswoman Stephanie Marquis said the solution apparently leaked from a floor-scrubbing machine operated by the contractor.
She said officials are still determining the cost for repairing the damage. She also said the department is weighing possible legal steps.
A message left with the department over the weekend seeking the name of the contractor was not immediately returned.
The cleaning company has been replaced with a new contractor.
- Sheriff: Man driving 30 mph over speed limit was drunk
- Stoughton woman faces 5th OWI charge
- Farms' thirst for water roils Wisconsin's central sands
- Town of Janesville man faces 6th OWI
- Angler catches massive trout, doesn't count for state record
- Overtime to catch Jakubowski cost Rock County Sheriff's Office $80,000