MADISON, Wis. - State officials fired a cleaning company they believe was responsible for damaging or staining marble floors in the Capitol.
A Wisconsin State Journal report said the damage appears to have been caused by a cleaning solution or similar liquid.
Department of Administration spokeswoman Stephanie Marquis said the solution apparently leaked from a floor-scrubbing machine operated by the contractor.
She said officials are still determining the cost for repairing the damage. She also said the department is weighing possible legal steps.
A message left with the department over the weekend seeking the name of the contractor was not immediately returned.
The cleaning company has been replaced with a new contractor.
- Madison Club donation focuses on 100 Black Men, achievement gap
- Madison Metro bus driver retires after half a century
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK
- Icy conditions send more people to ER for falls
- UW study uses video games to help smokers quit
- UW-Madison suspends fraternity for serving minors