MADISON, Wis. - Madison City Council recognized two people as heroes at Tuesday night's City Council meeting.
James Lofton and Sadie Villegas were honored for stopping a suicide attempt at Monona Terrace.
Villegas noticed a woman she was working with acting unusual and followed her outside where she pulled the woman off the railing.
Lofton, a homeless veteran, heard cries for help and assisted in restraining the woman until police arrived.
Villegas and Lofton say they hope their actions will urge people to watch out for others.
"I really hope that people take our situation and what happened with us and carry that with them and think about when they may run into somebody that they see that need a little bit of extra help," said Villegas.
Both have seen the woman they saved and say she's receiving the care she needs.
Villegas works in the city's Housing and Development Division and says they're now finding somewhere more permanent for Lofton to live.
- Consumer Reports: Samsung Galaxy S8 first look
- Chief: Monday was 'horribly compelling night of crime' in Madison
- New gallery showcases visually impaired artists, proves creativity has no boundaries
- Attorney: Jakubowksi traveled mostly on foot, was headed to South Dakota
- Lettuce, other produce prices double due to wet California winter, experts say
- State Legislature set to give wells bill final OK