MADISON, Wis. - Madison City Council recognized two people as heroes at Tuesday night's City Council meeting.
James Lofton and Sadie Villegas were honored for stopping a suicide attempt at Monona Terrace.
Villegas noticed a woman she was working with acting unusual and followed her outside where she pulled the woman off the railing.
Lofton, a homeless veteran, heard cries for help and assisted in restraining the woman until police arrived.
Villegas and Lofton say they hope their actions will urge people to watch out for others.
"I really hope that people take our situation and what happened with us and carry that with them and think about when they may run into somebody that they see that need a little bit of extra help," said Villegas.
Both have seen the woman they saved and say she's receiving the care she needs.
Villegas works in the city's Housing and Development Division and says they're now finding somewhere more permanent for Lofton to live.
- Two people shot at while in a car on Madison's east side
- Dick's Sporting Goods windows smashed, teen arrested
- Dog recovering after eating nails wrapped in hot dogs; Police look for person who left them
- Dating apps pose risk to teenagers, expert says
- Lawsuit over baked goods ban heads to court
- FDA issues warning letters over 'bogus cancer cures'