MADISON, Wis. - A "citizen posse" helped a purse thief victim chase down a suspect Sunday afternoon, according to Madison police.
A 48-year-old Cross Plains woman told police she had placed her purse on a bar table inside Locker Room Sports Bar & Grill at 1810 Roth Street when she caught it being taken out of the corner of her eye.
Police said the woman, her friend and a group of other patrons chased and temporarily cornered Ramsey J. Hammond Jr., 32, of Madison, in a parking lot near Aberg Avenue. He got away, but was captured in the 1300 block of Crowley Avenue.
The purse was dropped in the bar during the pursuit, police said.
Hammond was arrested on suspicion of theft.
- Police: Teens try to open Madison girl's car door, flash gun at her
- Sonar scans help divers target Lake Erie plane crash search
- Suspected drunken driver hits car in oncoming lane, police say
- Teens say armed man asked them to get in car, police say
- Couple heard window being opened, scared off a would-be burglar, PD says
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK