MADISON, Wis. - A "citizen posse" helped a purse thief victim chase down a suspect Sunday afternoon, according to Madison police.
A 48-year-old Cross Plains woman told police she had placed her purse on a bar table inside Locker Room Sports Bar & Grill at 1810 Roth Street when she caught it being taken out of the corner of her eye.
Police said the woman, her friend and a group of other patrons chased and temporarily cornered Ramsey J. Hammond Jr., 32, of Madison, in a parking lot near Aberg Avenue. He got away, but was captured in the 1300 block of Crowley Avenue.
The purse was dropped in the bar during the pursuit, police said.
Hammond was arrested on suspicion of theft.
- Minnesota ban on Sunday liquor sales may be lifted
- Mustard Museum may close if county doesn't forgive loan
- Republican, Democrat each share hopes for inauguration
- Child expert weighs in on search for 9-month-old
- Sheriff warns of phone scammer pretending to be deputy
- Warm weather is melting away profits in the winter sports industry