MADISON, Wis. - A "citizen posse" helped a purse thief victim chase down a suspect Sunday afternoon, according to Madison police.
A 48-year-old Cross Plains woman told police she had placed her purse on a bar table inside Locker Room Sports Bar & Grill at 1810 Roth Street when she caught it being taken out of the corner of her eye.
Police said the woman, her friend and a group of other patrons chased and temporarily cornered Ramsey J. Hammond Jr., 32, of Madison, in a parking lot near Aberg Avenue. He got away, but was captured in the 1300 block of Crowley Avenue.
The purse was dropped in the bar during the pursuit, police said.
Hammond was arrested on suspicion of theft.
- Downtown homicide victim's roommate: Victim was likely trying to help the man who killed him
- Vet: Quick action saved dog who swallowed nails; Humane Society: 'This is now on our radar'
- State receives $20,000 grant to combat drugged driving
- Janesville police share internet safety tips for parents
- Facing deadline, most Wisconsin dairy farms find new buyer
- Congress considers removal of FDA oversight to e-cigarettes