JANESVILLE, Wis. - Construction crews worked Monday to install a 60-foot illuminated cross at New Life Assembly of God Church in Janesville.
The church is at the corner of Highway 14 and Wright Road, near Interstate 90.
The cross is a $1,000 gift from parishioners to the community.
The cross does not require a municipal permit. Its installation is federally protected on religious grounds.
The Rev. Michael Jackson explained a planning process that considered the impact of placing a larger cross. "We looked at putting a 100-foot cross out there, but we have 20-plus acres of land and a 100-foot cross, I think, would have been gaudy and ostentatious," he said. "So 60 feet fits our property, our acreage well."
The church also plans to put a garden, walkway and benches around the cross. The cross was built in Alabama and transported to Janesville.
- MPD: Around 12,000 attend 2017 Mifflin Street Block Party; no serious incidents
- Officials identify woman killed in Middleton homicide; suspect in custody
- Robber points gun at motel clerk, flees empty-handed
- Wisconsin woman's play to take stage in San Diego
- Aging farmers in Wisconsin fear nursing care may cost farm
- Green Bay official explores ban on openly carrying guns