JANESVILLE, Wis. - Construction crews worked Monday to install a 60-foot illuminated cross at New Life Assembly of God Church in Janesville.
The church is at the corner of Highway 14 and Wright Road, near Interstate 90.
The cross is a $1,000 gift from parishioners to the community.
The cross does not require a municipal permit. Its installation is federally protected on religious grounds.
The Rev. Michael Jackson explained a planning process that considered the impact of placing a larger cross. "We looked at putting a 100-foot cross out there, but we have 20-plus acres of land and a 100-foot cross, I think, would have been gaudy and ostentatious," he said. "So 60 feet fits our property, our acreage well."
The church also plans to put a garden, walkway and benches around the cross. The cross was built in Alabama and transported to Janesville.
- 75,000+ attend 'Women's March on Madison'
- Police looking for driver who fled after causing crash
- MPD: 9-month-old girl back safe after father refused to return her to mother
- Committee debates to keep or remove Monterrey Dam
- 2 teenagers chased by police die in car crash in Milwaukee
- Four displaced in west side apartment fire