MADISON, Wis. - The father of a Madison man accused of locking his emaciated teenage daughter in the basement testified in his trial Tuesday morning in Dane County Court.
Chad Chritton is charged with party to six felonies, including false imprisonment and child neglect resulting in bodily harm. District Attorney Ismael Ozanne told jurors that the 15-year-old girl was starved and locked in the basement by her family until she wasted away to 68 pounds.
Chritton's father, David Chritton, took the stand Tuesday and described a time when troubles between the young girl and her half-brother prompted a move to her grandparents' home near Minneapolis five years ago.
David Chritton said the girl was timid when she arrived and didn't know how to play, to throw a ball, or ride a bike, but she thrived in their home and turned into a typical 10-year-old
David Chritton said the girl learned to ride bikes and roller blade and loved the attention she got from her grandparents.
"One of the things that she really enjoyed when she was living up with her, is that my wife would brush her hair every day and her face would just beam because of the attention she was getting," David Chritton said.
David Chritton said when he saw the girl again after more time in Madison, she was quiet and would only speak to him when spoken to.Chritton's father testifies in trial
- Wisconsin school advocates pushing for more money
- Research indicates correct breast examination techniques are widely misunderstood
- Shell casings found downtown after shots fired call
- 75,000+ attend 'Women's March on Madison'
- Police looking for driver who fled after causing crash
- MPD: 9-month-old girl back safe after father refused to return her to mother