TOWN OF YORK, Wis. - Charges are expected against the driver of one of the vehicles involved in a fatal two-vehicle crash in the town of York Saturday night, according to the Dane County Sheriff's Office.
Officials said crews responded to reports of a crash on Highway 73 at County Highway TT around 7:35 p.m.
A four-door sedan driven by William R. Berndt, 47, of Fall River, was north on County Highway TT and did not stop at the stop sign at Highway 73, investigators said. The sedan hit a southbound minivan on Highway 73.
Berndt was flown to University of Wisconsin Hospital by Med Flight with serious injuries, according to the release. A 51-year-old passenger in the sedan, Michael S. Dykstra, was pronounced dead at the scene.
The Dane County Sheriff's Office said the charges against Berndt are expected but have not been announced yet.
The Dane County medical examiner said Dykstra died from injuries sustained in the crash.
The driver of the minivan, Frederick R. Dahlby, 64, and two passengers, Diane D. Dahlby, 63, and Brenna D. Dahlby, 19, all of Sparta, were taken to UW Hospital with serious, but not life-threatening injuries, police said.
Officials believe alcohol is a contributing factor in the crash.Hwy 73 at Cty Hwy TT, town of York
- Madison police work to create better quality of life on top of State Street
- 'Out of the darkness' walk for suicide prevention
- Woman may face charges after being thrown from vehicle during crash
- Officials ID fatal Grant County crash victim
- Police: Electronics taken from Boscobel home Friday
- Armed robberies in Monona, Madison may be connected, Monona PD says