MADISON, Wis. - Two Carroll University students have raised enough money to pay a man's ticket for carrying an air gun and causing a campus lockdown.
Seniors John Heavey and Emily Kammerud organized an online collection after seeing a TV interview with the 50-year-old man. The online page raised $360 in donations as of 10 p.m. Thursday.
The lockdown lasted about 90 minutes Tuesday after two people reported seeing a man with a gun on campus.
Police said the man found the non-lethal weapon in the garbage and was carrying it back to his apartment when he was spotted on campus. He was cited for disorderly conduct.
A Carroll spokeswoman says the collection is not sanctioned by the university.
- 'Out of the darkness' walk for suicide prevention
- Woman may face charges after being thrown from vehicle during crash
- Officials ID fatal Grant County crash victim
- Police: Electronics taken from Boscobel home Friday
- Armed robberies in Monona, Madison may be connected, Monona PD says
- Widow of slayed Racine man wants ban of hollow-point bullets