DARLINGTON, Wis. - An Indiana man who works for a carnival company is suspected of attacking another carnival worker during the Canoe Festival in Darlington.
Investigators said Richard E. Dewitt, 37, was arrested Friday on suspicion of false imprisonment, strangulation, battery and attempted second-degree sexual assault.
Darlington police said early Friday morning Dewitt entered the sleeping quarters of his coworker, a 43-year-old woman from Wausau, where he struck and strangled the woman in an attempt to have sexual contact with her. A witness came to help the woman and ended the assault.
The woman was taken to Memorial Hospital of Lafayette County where she was treated and released.
- Madison police make arrest in robbery near Overture Center
- Downtown homicide victim's roommate: Victim was likely trying to help the man who killed him
- Vet: Quick action saved dog who swallowed nails; Humane Society: 'This is now on our radar'
- State receives $20,000 grant to combat drugged driving
- Janesville police share internet safety tips for parents
- Facing deadline, most Wisconsin dairy farms find new buyer