DARLINGTON, Wis. - An Indiana man who works for a carnival company is suspected of attacking another carnival worker during the Canoe Festival in Darlington.
Investigators said Richard E. Dewitt, 37, was arrested Friday on suspicion of false imprisonment, strangulation, battery and attempted second-degree sexual assault.
Darlington police said early Friday morning Dewitt entered the sleeping quarters of his coworker, a 43-year-old woman from Wausau, where he struck and strangled the woman in an attempt to have sexual contact with her. A witness came to help the woman and ended the assault.
The woman was taken to Memorial Hospital of Lafayette County where she was treated and released.
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK
- Phone scammer claims to be MPD Chief Mike Koval, officials say
- Icy Dane County road causes nearly 40-car pileup, officials say
- Man, woman caught selling stolen bike on Craigslist, police say
- Evers has $117,000 in bank for superintendent run
- Police: Teens try to open Madison girl's car door, flash gun at her