BEAVER DAM, Wis. - A car went through the ice on Beaver Dam Lake on Sunday afternoon.
Kyle Daniels, 19, of rural Beaver Dam, was driving his car on the ice when it broke through and submerged up to the roof, according to a Dodge County Sheriff's Department news release.
Daniels called 911 at about 3:12 p.m. while standing on the roof of his car, according to the news release.
He was able to get away from the vehicle and walk to the Beaver Dam Fire Department hovercraft that was searching for him and his vehicle.
Daniels was brought to shore by the hovercraft and didn't request medical treatment.
Open water was reported in an area not far from where the car broke through, sheriff's officials said.
Sheriff's officials said recent strong winds and a relatively mild winter have created ice conditions that vary on area lakes as well as open water areas.
Authorities said motor vehicle traffic is discouraged on the ice and extreme caution should be used, especially during darkness.
- Kenosha man faces re-trial in 1990 murder of woman, 18
- More than 100 people to lose jobs when distributor closes in Watertown
- Real-looking starter pistol held to man's head in planned robbery, police say
- PD: Suspected drunken driver goes for officer's gun, injures 2 officers
- Deputies: Couple caught stealing coats may be connected to other thefts
- Detectives seek help identifying burglar in surveillance pics