BEAVER DAM, Wis. - A car went through the ice on Beaver Dam Lake on Sunday afternoon.
Kyle Daniels, 19, of rural Beaver Dam, was driving his car on the ice when it broke through and submerged up to the roof, according to a Dodge County Sheriff's Department news release.
Daniels called 911 at about 3:12 p.m. while standing on the roof of his car, according to the news release.
He was able to get away from the vehicle and walk to the Beaver Dam Fire Department hovercraft that was searching for him and his vehicle.
Daniels was brought to shore by the hovercraft and didn't request medical treatment.
Open water was reported in an area not far from where the car broke through, sheriff's officials said.
Sheriff's officials said recent strong winds and a relatively mild winter have created ice conditions that vary on area lakes as well as open water areas.
Authorities said motor vehicle traffic is discouraged on the ice and extreme caution should be used, especially during darkness.
- Crews deal with dwindling salt supply, funds amid icy winter
- Monona cafe calls for action after no charges in embezzlement case
- Consumer Reports: Should you buy Ikea appliances?
- Consumer Reports: Foods that heal
- WEDC grants help grow entrepreneurship programs across state
- Political expert weighs in on effectiveness of Women's March movement