MADISON, Wis. - A car fire in a basement parking area damaged an apartment building in Madison Tuesday morning, according to Madison firefighters.
Firefighters were called to 8211 Plaza Drive at 1:55 a.m. for a report of a fire at a building that houses two businesses and 22 apartments. They found smoke coming from the basement parking area's garage door. The garage was filled with smoke. Firefighters used a thermal imaging camera to locate the burning car.
Automatic fire sprinklers near the fire prevented major damage to the building, according to fire officials.
Two cars were damaged by the fire and the building suffered light smoke damage.
Apartment residents were evacuated to a Madison Metro bus while the fire was being fought. They were all allowed to return to their apartments.
The fire caused about $40,000 in damage.19182726
- Car accident on eastbound beltline backs up traffic
- Newly renovated Milton Public Library reopens
- Lego robotics championship encourages students to solve real-world problems
- Mother of murdered twin infants shines light on domestic violence, child abuse
- Wisconsin River flooding causes road closure
- Dickeyville police looking for assault suspect