MADISON, Wis. - Racine County officials said their vote canvass shows that Democrat John Lehman picked up 55 votes in his recall challenge against state Sen. Van Wanggaard.
The canvass Tuesday found that Lehman extended his unofficial lead over the Republican incumbent to 834 votes.
Lehman had 36,351 votes, or 50.6 percent, while Wanggaard received 35,517 votes, or 49.4 percent.
The canvass isn't official until the state Government Accountability Board certifies the results. That's expected to happen next week.
Dan Romportl, of the Committee to Elect a Republican Senate, said Wanggaard will decide by the end of the week whether to request a recount.
Brad Wojciechowski, a spokesman for the State Senate Democratic Committee, said Wanggaard should take the high road and concede the election immediately.
- Teens say armed man asked them to get in car, police say
- Couple heard window being opened, scared off a would-be burglar, PD says
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK
- Majority of Superior shipyard workers test positive for lead
- Law enforcement warns of dangerous, ice-covered roads
- Lowell Elementary School closed due to flooding, officials say