MADISON, Wis. - It's been a long time coming, but now a new bridge over the Beltline is open.
The third phase of the Cannonball Path Bridge, west of Fish Hatchery Road, opened Thursday.
The new arched bridge is for bicyclists and pedestrians, and it is a key part of the overall Cannonball Path project. The Cannonball path, by the time it is done next year, the more than 4 miles of paved shared-use path will connect neighborhoods in Fitchburg and Madison south of the Beltline to central Madison.
More than 1.6 miles of the path is already paved starting at the Capital City Trail in Fitchburg and extending to the north Beltline frontage road, according to a release.
A bridge of McKee Road is also in the works.
- Deputies warn of thin ice as warm temps continue
- Falcons roll 44-21 to reach Super Bowl
- Packers fall to Falcons 44-21
- Family, friends of Tony Robinson protest plan to return officer to patrol
- Packers fans stock up on snacks before NFC Championship game
- Wisconsin officials investigating skull found on vacant land